18 June 2018
The name of the ArchAngel Michael was closely related to the Eastern Churches, especially the Coptic Church. The commemoration of Angel Michael began to be celebrated in the fourth century AD during the era of Pope Alexandrus (19th Patriarch of the Patriarchs of the Coptic Church). The Alexandrians resided in the Temple of Saturn in 12 Hatour From every year where they slaughter many sacrifices to him, and when the feast came urging them to establish this feast of the Archangel Michael, who intercedes with them in God and pleading for sowing and avenging and to offer sacrifices to the poor, the people of Alexandria obeyed the Pope’s appeal and established a church in the name of the Archangel Many have the wonders and miracles of healing patients.
As for the commemoration of 12 Baouna, it is associated with the beginning of the flood of the Nile. Christianity turned this pagan feast, which was based on a Pharaonic legend, into a feast for the Archangel, because it asks God to do well throughout the country, so that the Christian faith can remove pagan beliefs.
Regarding to the famous icon of Archangel Michael who is standing on the devil, it has a Biblical reference from Revelation 12: “And there was a war in heaven: Michael and his angels fought the dragon, and fought the dragon and his angels, but they did not strengthen., The old serpent called Satan and the devil, who misleads the entire world, was thrown to the ground, and brought with him his angels.” (Revelation 12: 7-9)
The Coptic iconographer added some Egyptian characters to the icon of Archangel Michael, Holding scale in his left hand. This symbol is taken from the Pharaonic legend of the court of Osiris, which weighed the work of the dead in front of a feather, if the weight of the dead’s work is lighter than the feather is aware that it was good etc…. This is the thought that prevailed in the depictions of the icons of the 17th and 18th centuries in the area of Old Cairo churches (for example we attached the icon of Angel Michael from the Church of the Virgin Mary known as Damshereya in Old Cairo).
And the wonders and miracles that God makes with the intercession of the Archangel Michael a lot and renewed and the intensity of the Copts association with the angel Michael celebrates his commemoration according to the Coptic Synaxarium and the Ethiopian Synaxarium every month on 12. has special readings focused on the angels and their service.
• Psalm: “Praise ye the Lord. Praise ye the Lord from the heavens: praise him in the heights. Praise ye him, all his angels: praise ye him, all his hosts.” (psalm 148: 1 – 3).
• Gospel: “The angels will come and separate the wicked from the righteous” (Mathew 13: 44-53).
• Psalm: “Who maketh his angels spirits; his ministers a flaming fire” (psalm 104:4)
• Gospel: “Likewise, I say unto you, there is joy in the presence of the angels of God over one sinner that repenteth.” (Luke 15: 3-10).
In word Liturgy:
• Pauline Epistle: “Being made so much better than the angels, as he hath by inheritance obtained a more excellent name than they.” (Hebrew 1:1, 2:1-4)
• Catholic Epistle: “Yet Michael the archangel, in [f]contending with the devil, when he disputed about the body of Moses, dared not bring against him a reviling accusation, but said, “The Lord rebuke you!” 10 But these speak evil of whatever they do not know; and whatever they know naturally, like brute beasts, in these things they corrupt themselves.” (Jude 1: 1-13)
• Praxis: “And while they looked steadfastly toward heaven as He went up, behold, two men stood by them in white apparel, 11 who also said, “Men of Galilee, why do you stand gazing up into heaven? This same Jesus, who was taken up from you into heaven, will so come in like manner as you saw Him go into heaven.” (Acts 1: 1-20)
• Psalm: “The Lord has established His throne in heaven, And His kingdom rules over all. Bless the Lord, you His angels, Who excel in strength, who do His word, Heeding the voice of His word.” (Psalm 103: 19-21)
• Gospel: “Then they will see the Son of Man coming in the clouds with great power and glory. And then He will send His angels, and gather together His select from the four winds, from the farthest part of earth to the farthest part of heaven.” (Mark 13).
The Church and the believers also associating with the Archangel Michael, and each Diocese has a Church of Archangel Michael as the guard of the diocese. The Church of castle of most of the Monasteries is dedicated to the name of the angel Michael as the protector of the monastery – except for the monastery of Abba Paula in the Red Sea, where the Church of the Angel Michael is located outside the castle – and the believers also make commemoration of the angel Michael and give gifts and vows on his name in what is known as “Patty of the Angel”
We ask Him to intercede with us so that the Lord our God may protect us